Getting a handle on technology resources can be intimidating. The best place to start for students and families is to ask your teacher on how technology is being used.
Below you will also find common EdTech tools and our FAQ (Frequently Asked Question). Additional descriptions can be found on our list of Online Educational Resources.
If you need further assistance, please email email@example.com.
IMPORTANT: Parents must sign the Device Loan Agreement for each student who is loaned a device (grades 3 through 12).
- My student(s) have not received a Chromebook.
- How do I sign the Device Loan Agreement?
- Can my student bring their Chromebook home?
- Ownership and Responsibility
- How does my student get started with their Chromebook?
- The SSCPS Chromebook is not working.
- What kind of Chromebook will my student get?
- What kind of headsets/phones/earbuds do the Chromebooks support?
- My student has an iPad, not a Chromebook.
All students in grades 3 through 12 will receive a Chromebook at homeroom at the start of the school year. Please also make sure you have signed off on the device. We require students to use the school-issued Chromebook. Please contact your student's Assistant Principal or liaison if this possess a problem.
Please complete the SSCPS Device Loan Agreement if you have not done so in previous years. Please note that FamilyID is very secure about your family's data. For issues using your FamilyID account, FamilyID requires us to direct you to their helpline at 781-205-2800 for further assistance.
The basic steps to fill out the loan agreement are:
- Click "Register Now"
- Sign in or create an account.
- Fill out your student's name in the participant fields.
- Scroll down to select "Yes" & enter your name as an electronic signature.
- Scroll down to submit.
- Repeat steps #3 through #6 for each additional student attending SSCPS.
Please note that we have heard of issues with some smartphones about a missing Submit button. We suggest using a laptop or desktop and/or calling FamilyID's helpline at 781-205-2800.
All devices remain the property of SSCPS. All families must still adhere to the Student & Family Handbook. All students are required to bring their devices to school each day and make sure the device is fully charged.
The first thing to do with a Chromebook is to connect it to the Internet. Chromebooks can work offline, but the first login and class participation requires the Internet. After getting online, the student will need to log in with their school Google account and then go to Google Classroom for most activities.
- Most things can be fixed by clearing the student profile on the Chromebook. This includes when the camera or microphone stops working as well as general slowness or feeling "laggy". Please note that this will remove files in "Downloads", but not any files in "My Drive" or other shared locations.
- If your camera or microphone is still not working, you may have missed the question to allow the website to use it. You can use these instructions to enable both for Meet or another appropriate site.
- You can also do a "hard reset" on the device. To perform a hard reset, hold down the Refresh button and push the power button. After rebooting don't worry, the device will still be managed by SSCPS.
- You can always email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help you.
- Will my student get a Google account?
- What is my student's Google account name?
- My student can't sign-in because they forgot their password.
- My student still can't sign-in.
- Sometimes Links Don't Work.
- My student doesn't have the right Google Classrooms.
- Can I see my student's Classroom or I've heard about Google Classroom Summaries.
- This is a lot of information.
Please ask one of your student's teachers to help them with logging into their Google Account. We do this so a teacher can ensure that they are getting signed in. For K - 2 students, their teacher can email Clever Badges to parents. For students 3 - 12, their teacher may submit a ticket to reset their password. If your child has trouble remembering their password an arrangement can be worked out with their teacher(s) and/or Assistant Principal.
This is often because the default Google account is not the school-issued Google account. Many people have personal accounts or share a computer at home. Multiple Google accounts can cause confusion for many online resources that use "Sign-in with Google" features. You will need to setup Multiple Profiles or Remove Other Accounts.
Parents/guardians can get summaries emailed to them about the activity in their student(s) Google Classrooms. There are three components:
- Teachers must turn this feature on.
- Teachers must associate the parent/guardian email with the student's Google Classroom enrollment.
- There are settings explained here for the parent/guardian.
- What is Clever?
- How does my student log into Clever?
- My Student Uses A Clever Badge To Login
- My student is missing something their teacher said should be there.
- My student can't log in to Clever.
The best way to get into Clever is to use the link under "Students" above. After that, please use the "Log in with Google" button and use your student Google account. Any appropriate online tools will be displayed once you are logged in.
Students in grades K - 2 are given "Clever Badges" to log in. This means they do not need to type in their Google account name & password. Please email your student's teacher to get the Clever Badge.
After going to https://clever.com/in/sscps & clicking on "Clever Badge log in", hold the badge up to your computer's camera. Be careful with new computers/browsers, most ask for access your computer's camera.
Clever also has this page for additional help.
- What is PlusPortals?
- What can be found in PlusPortals?
- How do I get to PlusPortals?
- What is my account name?
- I or my student forgot our password.
- I tried to reset my password and it still did not work.
- How do I use PlusPortals?
PlusPortals is used, along with Google Classroom, to share scheduling and grading information. Parents are encouraged to log in as themselves to review their child's progress throughout the year. Term Marks/Report Cards, as well as Warnings, if they exist, can also be found in PlusPortals.
Though links are provided on various pages here on SSCPS.org, the best way to get to PlusPortals is to use the link under "Students" or "Families" menus at the top of sscps.org. If you search for PlusPortals on Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc, it will bring you to a random school across the Internet.
- For parents/guardians, the email address you have on file with SSCPS is your account name. All primary parent/guardians automatically get an account. If other individuals need an account, please call the school at 781-982-4202 and ask to speak to Dee.
- For students, their Google Account is used as their account name. This is the same as their email address.
- For teachers, their account is also their Google Account. Parents and students are encouraged to email the teachers directly, though PlusPortals can also be used.
Sometimes accounts take a bit to set up and/or activate. Parent accounts should be activated in the first few days of school. Activation emails expire after 48 hours. If the email does not get to you, please check your SPAM folder. If that still does not help, please call the school or email email@example.com.
- Students are taught to use PlusPortals in their classes. There is also a generic PlusPortals for Students guide.
- Parents can use the SSCPS Quick Start For Parents or PlusPortal for Parents.
- Our vendor, Rediker, has also provided this page for general information and this page for viewing your students.
- What is Schoolpass?
- How does Schoolpass work?
- What is an RFID?
- How do I get an RFID?
- Can I get more RFIDs?
- I lost my RFID.
- Do I need an account? How do I get an account?
- How do I get their Smartphone app?
During dismissal, drivers will be checked in when they arrive at school. This is mostly done with an RFID that is attached to the car. Pickup drivers can also be manually checked in by looking up the family/student. To do self-checkin, please watch this video; pay close attention at around 2:00 minutes in.
Once check-in happens, teachers will be notified to send the appropriate students to the correct dismissal location.
No worries, we can replace your RFID. Please call the school or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will also disable the old RFID so it can not be used by strangers. If it is found, please return it to SSCPS or destroy it.
It is available for both Android and iPhone. There have been issues with updates from Schoolpass. If you run into issues using it, please try to uninstall it with the option to remove all app data. Then reinstall it. The vendor requests that you email email@example.com if you continue to run into issues.